Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Time I Locked My Cousin In A Closet


So, before I start this story let it be known that my cousin and I (who are practically like sisters) have a pretty dysfunctional relationship. We are so close that we occasionally spoon and hold hands. It’s not weird.
Despite my undying love for my cousin (still not weird) I haven’t always been the nicest person to her. I used to give her “love slaps,” which basically entailed me slapping her very hard to show her how much I loved her. However, I think a game my friend and I used to play with her tops anything else I've ever done to her.
For a while my friend’s and my favorite game was Cowboys and Indians. I’m sure a lot of kids have played this. However, our version was probably a little crueler. It actually originated as a game another friend and I used to play with my cousin, and when my cousin moved to the US the game the tradition continued with a new player.
            The premise of the game was simple. There was a Cowboy (always played by my cousin) and some Indians (always played by my friend and me). The Indians would capture the Cowboy and tie her up and place her in a closet. Then the Indians would hide and the Cowboy would escape and come find them. 
            This is where it starts to get mean. Our friend (who was 6 years old at the time) and I (8 years old) would tie up my cousin (4 years old) with the intent of her never getting free. Then, we would place her in the closet and lock the door. So that, even if she did get through the tightly bound ropes on her hands, feet, and waist, she wouldn’t be able to get out of the closet.
            Obviously, we always won. Eventually her mother would have to just go looking for her and set her free, and by that point our friend and I had already moved onto another game.
            Yes, it was a cruel game. Yes, we were evil little children. But the point is, at the end of the day we still loved her, despite being a little vicious. We let her get away with whatever she wanted (unless what she wanted was to be an Indian instead of a Cowboy). We’re all still super close today, and are able to look back on this event and laugh. 
Well, at least two-thirds of us are. 

1 comment:

  1. "We are so close that we occasionally spoon and hold hands. It’s not weird." Wrong. Totally weird. :) -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete